Wednesday, May 30, 2007

MOTHERS WANT THE BEST FOR US

My Big black cat
There's something special about a mother atleast my mother. Though she is not racial she calls me "Negro" or "Natu" because i am shorter than my brother by few inches. I was reminded of this the other day when she visited me in my Engg college hostel. Looking me over in a loving way and speaking as only a mother can, she said, "You're going bald!" "Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Amma," I felt like saying.

"I hadn't yet noticed my bald spot. But now that your eagle eyes have discovered it, I'm going to keep tabs on it. I'm sure you'll lend your assistance by giving me annual how-bald-are-you-now reports."

2003: "Son, you’re so bald, Chotu refer to you as 'grandpa.

'" 2004: "Son, you're so bald, the reflection off your head is blinding people in India."

2005: "Son, you're so bald, Jet has asked for permission to land."

Being a writer herself she knows what to say and the soft spots where it hurts most
What would we do without our mothers? On Mother's Day and other days, we should show our gratitude to them not just because they've loved and supported us, but also for another major reason: If it weren't for our mothers, we wouldn't know all our faults. We'd be deceived into believing we're almost perfect. Yes, we'd be living a lie. Anytime I get too full of myself, I just have to speak to my mother and she'll bring me down to earth faster than a Russian satellite. She'll say something to make me realize that I'm a long way from achieving any goals, especially the ones she has set for me.

Mother: We need mothers partly be cause our spouses and friends have learned to lie to us. You can't blame them. They're concerned about their safety.

Woman: "O ji sunte ho!!, does this dress make me look fat?"
Husband: "No, Jaanu, it makes you look as slim as Cindy Crawford and Jennifer Aniston." (Yes, Cindy and Jennifer combined!)
A mother would be a little more honest:
Daughter: "Mom, does this dress make me look fat?"
Mother: "No, Beti, YOU make the dress look fat. I never thought fabric could stretch like that!"

A kind friend might say, "Wow! That outfit makes you look like a million dollars."
Your mother, on the other hand, will insist on converting it to British currency:
"Wow! That outfit makes you look like a million pounds." Of course, most mothers mean well. They want the best for us. And they know exactly what's best for us, because they spent countless hours thinking about it, even before we were born.

Why won't we listen? Why won't we take advantage of their endless wisdom?

My mother: "You should have become a doctor. You are so intelligent."
Me: "I don't want to be a doctor. I like being a writer."
Mother: "If you had become a doctor, you would have something to write about. And you could have done something about that bald spot. You could have afforded a hair transplant."

Mothers are so wise. You've gotta love them. I certainly love mine.

No comments: