Monday, January 21, 2008

Sweet Separation


The awkward silence seemed to stretch out for eternity. I looked into her vacant eyes hoping to find a hint of emotion, but only found that I could not hold her gaze. It was like being in a lion’s cage and looking into his silent eyes to see if he is hungry or not. It may eat me if it’s hungry or just maul and kill me because it’s a lion. I felt uncomfortable. I shifted in my chair struggling for words to say, anything. I couldn't. I had said all I could hadn't I? It was her turn now surely? Yet all she offered me was silence.

I had not been prepared for this; I had expected anger or disappointment, an argument or an agreement. My mind had raced through endless possibilities on my way to this tragic unfolding but none had come close to capturing the torture which had awaited me. The stillness was swallowing me whole. I had to do something.

"I always thought I'd have something to say in an awkward silence" I found myself saying. "Is this an awkward silence?" She gave a slight nod. By addressing the silence I knew I had made it worse, her lack of reply had merely emphasized it. I had played my gambit and it had failed; I knew I could not risk speaking again.

I scanned the venue looking for a friendly face, any distraction welcome, anything to save me from the abyss. There was nobody. I was alone in this sea of tranquility, drowning in its still waters.

I chanced to look at her again. Was that a hint of a smile I saw playing across her face? It was. I was sure it was. She was enjoying this. Surely witches were the ancestors of womankind. It was quite apparent that watching me squirm was her revenge; she had known what was coming and had plotted against me. I felt abused. She had turned this around on me; her mute indifference was my punishment.

"I am done I am leaving," she said, as she started to leave expecting me to beg for her esteemed audience in my pathetic life.

Alas! I was too stoned to do that.

I don't know if I will ever hear sweeter words than what she said just then. I had been released from my silent prison. I was human again like any fable story finally the witch left me to live happily ever after. I will always admire her for her forgiveness and maybe departure…

No comments: