Monday, January 21, 2008

Intolerable Cruelty

Laughing at someone else's sufferings comes naturally to me. The problem is not here… problem is when I express my self especially when it’s not real time. When I tell it to others they find me insanely inhumane. I wish there was a mirror to show people their inner self I am the most common man you can find, not a single maverick bone in me just a routine guy who keeps shouting where I am heading instead of where the world is heading. Everyone loves laughing on someone’s pain. It’s surprisingly easy to do than you think. Although an element of guilt is associated with it, almost every regular television comedy reality program appears to go out of its way to make. It’s not only me who relish it to laugh at another person's misfortune. It's like what I'll call the "funny bone syndrome," when you accidentally knock your elbow on a table top and are in excruciating pain for several minutes, then suddenly find yourself and around you laughing uncontrollably at the whole incident.

Watch America's Funniest Videos or our own MTV Bakra or Chupa Rustam? It appears that those so called humorous bloopers now contain more physical pain clips than ever before. Remember when we found a frog climbing over another frog from behind funny? Now most videos need to contain events involving pain such as, tripping and falling, knocks on the head, stampedes by horses, and of course, the people's favorite; hits to the groin.

With a live audience encouraged to laugh with the use of an applause meter, what other choice do we have other than to laugh along at someone else's anguish? Perhaps it has something to do with peer pressure and group behavior. If you didn't laugh, someone might think there is something wrong with you. The problem is, if you really stop to think about it, what is so damned funny about someone holding their back and grimacing in pain after falling off a ladder or getting hit by Indian bull right on his nuts?

I just hope we aren't headed for the day when we find beheadings and decapitations hilarious, at least not without the use of laugh tracks.

No comments: