Monday, June 25, 2007

At her majesty’s service...

No… its not Chris / D or anyone you know… She is someone lost very sweetly in time

A short story. Versified for brevity, recommended for levity:) Of falling in love, and how a dinner determines destinies

Our acquaintance began with a staged coincidence.
Perceiving her pretty eyes, I changed my course to collide with an old friend and he was kind enough to have an inconsequential talk with me, and my efforts at wit, produced a smile and an inquiry from her. He introduced me as an old friend, and hurried away without
mentioning her name. No again I know what you are thinking, it never happens with me…He didn’t go alone he took her with him as a precious trophy and I was left without knowing her name with just a hope that she will remember my name…

A week later, I was stirring my coffee, when her smile flashed before me.
Without my friend about her, she made words that were music and comedy at the same time.

The shimmer on her nosering, the mole at the root of her neck and her hand movements
made an impression, an impression strong enough for person like me to put it in his amateurish words.

When she left, I realized, I had missed a job interview. The job was meant to help
me pay for my cigarettes, it was to help me stop manipulating the grocery bills and shamelessly stealing those precious ten dollar bill from my mother.

Yet I was happily in love with the idea that she not only remembers my face but my name as well. She made me feel I was no longer a invisible bum in the beautiful maidens world. They do stop and notice… they do notice me!!!

Our conversation moved through trails like lost desert storms.
Her stories began to behave like grains of sand in my eyes.
I soon realized that the mirage of her eyes now stirred no emotion in me. Within ten days, my first impression had turned into my intellectual embarrassment, and of course,
like a true old friend, I helped that guy, in winning over the woman, I guess I went bit too far… he was the first guy on whose behalf I wrote a love letter.

People ask me why I spend so much time in these pursuits….why do I write love letters for others.

I tell them that there is merit in learning from ones own follies and understanding how the unexpected rules the events related to those magical moments in general.

Its been many years now…

The girl remarked, that it was splendid for her husband to have such an honest
and dedicated friend like me.

I smiled and pretended that I was delighted to be of service.

( no names taken… whew)

No comments: