Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I The Great

You think that’s weird listen to this… and the saga unfolds…

Some people have no concept of the definition of a conversation. I call these people "I The Great Talker" because no matter what you tell them they will consistently turn the conversation into one about themselves. You relay an experience you had that day and that triggers their bottomless pit of a memory bank and they regale you with story after story of much worse experiences that have happened to them. Don't even think of interrupting or trying to get a word in edgewise because it will do you no good. Oh no, they may politely wait for you to finish speaking but they are not listening to you - they are waiting to continue where they left off. "Now where was I? Oh yes...."

So twenty minutes later I come out of my daydream and realize they are only as far as 1981 year I was born… 5th edition of their story and its 2008 many more editions to come.

Wishing I had bitten my tongue off for having spoken to this person in the first place or committing suicide before the day I met him, I go back to my dreamworld and as long as I make the occasional remark like "wow" and "oh my" they are content and oblivious to the fact that I have tuned them out. During this turbulent period you dare not utter words like “it can’t be true” or “how did that happen” those very words will give birth to few more editions.

As my mind wanders I begin having visions of gagging this person and much worse - sewing their lips together. This is usually the point I'm at when they finally Shut Up. Not because their story is over… not at all it’s a Indian soap opera they stopped cause it’s a lucky natures call or they got their mobile ringing. Learn some magic and vanish.

Now you might be thinking - "Why do I talk to this person in the first place?" - and I probably would agree with you - but as the old saying goes: YOU CAN'T CHOOSE YOUR RELATIVES! Or your countrymen to say…

No comments: