Tuesday, March 13, 2007

She comes…

My heart skipped a beat. There she was... sitting pretty. Her black eyes looked sleepy. She yawned, as she covered her mouth with her pink hanky. "Looks like she didn't sleep well last night" I thought. Her 'gang' came. I slowly moved out. As I was approaching the door, as I guessed, a huge laughter bursted out. I knew... They were laughing at me. They always do few call me jumping frog because of the way I walk…had I not walked out of the canteen by then, I would've gone to their table and yelled "I hate you all" and would've turned to my Queen Bee and said in a most articulative fashion "Not you my dear !!!" By now you must've guessed what stuff I am made of. I am one of the meekest persons, who wouldn't dare to go and speak to strangers and she always ask whether I am a man or a mouse. And I have the habit of telling things in a round-about-one-mile fashion. See?! I said something just now... And sometimes I lie... most of the time… sometime so often even I forget when and where did I lie… why I lied…maybe just to gain impression... Good impression of ourse...

Well, coming to my Queen Bee... I have been observing her for almost 6 years. 'Was I really counting the days ?' You might ask. Honestly speaking... No. She always wore jeans or Salwar Kameez. Even on Ethnic Day, she didn't wear Saree while other female isotopes wore saris. I heard her saying "I'm not comfortable in saris. Just like the way she was not comfortable with me, but I have my own notion I feel she looks best with me and in a Saree" She wears different kinds of earrings. Her round face looks more beautiful when she wears those big round earrings. She looks awesome whenever she wears blue with her famous French plait. Don't you know what a French plait is?! Don't worry, I am here to explain. Have you seen "Pretty Woman" movie?! In that, hero Richard Gere meets Julia Roberts taking bath in the bath tub In that scene, observe her hair style. The name of that hair style is 'French Plait'. I could've said 'Go and Google it' but you know... as I said... I tell things in a round-about-one-mile fashion. Coming to my heartbeat again...

She's beautiful, Gorgeous, Stunning, Striking, and Attractive. Everything about beauty personified... That's why I had fallen in love with her in the very first sight... just like many people did... But I never conveyed my feelings. I used to dream about her. Dream a lot...

She falls ill. I'll sit next to her on the bed. I take the thermometer and see the temperature. As I gaze at the thermometer, rather act as if I am seriously reading the thermometer, she slowly keeps her head on my shoulder... My hand moves forward and covers her soft cheek and caresses her earlobe... 'Are you listening?' she asked. I mean, my Professor asked. I gave a sheepish grin. Everyone in the computer Lab was looking at me. Some of them were already laughing. See?! Most of the situations end up like this... making me a jackass.

One day... something has happened. Something very different. She came in a Saree. And I see another person with her. They both walked towards me. This person looked like a rowdy. He confronts her and holds her hand. She tries her best to get away from his hold but in vain. She cries out 'Help help'. I go and punch him in the stomach. He's dazed for moment but attacks me. I fight with all my courage and somehow get rid of him.

(I thought) He smiled at me and lifted his hand and said 'Hi...'. As I came out of my day dream, I wore a staggered look and gave a sheepish grin as usual. Before I could acknowledge his 'Hi', I heard a bigger 'Hiiiiii...' behind me. Her 'gang'. What's next?! Yes... The same 'I hate you all' dialogue but now this new guy is an addition to that hate-list. He was her first true-blue crush in the campus

I heard those words 'Meet my girl friend' from behind. And I felt as if I was going to faint.

That night I prayed sincerely to God before going to bed. ‘God! You gave me awesome parents, who did all sort of awful things to me. You gave me good friends, who had great habits which rubbed of on me. You gave me thankless job where I am subjected to abuses Americanized that pushed me from lower-middle-class in morale to down-trodden in soul.. You gave me so much tax free… then why didn't you give me enough courage? I want to speak to her. I want to tell her about my love. I want to have her as my wife. Will she be mine?! And please don't give a same old 'NO'... NEVER' God had answered me that night. He came in my dream and said 'She will be yours at any cost!' I couldn't get to see Him in the dream but I heard Him. When I woke up the next morning, I was very happy. After all, it’s God who has answered. Nothing in this world can go against His will. I wanted to tell about what has happened to my friends. I said this thing to my friend Sharad. He laughed at me. I said the same thing to Rahul. He didn't sound convinced but he said 'Believe in yourself'. I said the same thing to Stanley, he kept mum. I got scared and ran away from all these people.

I wanted to share this with someone who can understand my feelings. I couldn't find anyone. But since God has answered my prayer, I need not go by what these mortals say.

Coming to my Queen Bee once again... She got married yesterday. I was there... My heart almost stopped, as I saw her in the bridal attire. She looked amazing. As she walked into the mantap, her sister-in-law had put a black spot in her cheek, while her father hovering over like a vulture. Just in case... to avoid a buri-nazar from a person like me...She was feeling shy. Someone from her 'gang' commented about something. I couldn't listen to those words... Last month, same day and date... I saw her and her fiancé in a restaurant. They were having candle-light dinner. I was hosting a party for my room-mate - I became a floor manager out setting Deepak Sir. We were sitting a few tables away from theirs. I asked my friend 'What should I do to win a girl's heart?' He said 'Have a full-house wallet' and laughed... But I was serious. I was serious for two reasons... one - I didn't like the answer and two - I forgot my wallet that day. Since it was my party, he didn't care to bring enough money. We were just Rs.310/- short. I wanted to go home and bring money but you know... strange things happen... Her gang entered the restaurant. They greeted each other and suddenly one of the girls in that gang noticed me. She came directly to me and said 'Congratulations...'. I was still. 'How come she knew that I don't have money?' I thought. She continued '...I heard that you got promoted'. In another five minutes, those 4 girls were sitting around us. They had some light stuff and left, but not before congratulating me and bidding adieu to the candle-light-dinner-couple. We were now short of just Rs.4189/- As we were thinking of the next course of action, my heartbeat came to me. She smiled at me and said 'Congratulations'. As I acknowledged, the rowdy next to her looked at me and smiled. As they started moving, I noticed that she was looking at the bill that I was holding. They left.

I wanted to give some time for them to leave. After five minutes, as I got up, I saw my heartbeat again. She came to me and asked 'Any problem?' I , with the same sheepish grin', said 'Nothing'. She looked at me and said 'I will pay the bill. You can give me later. I am very sorry on behalf of my friends. They always try and take advantage of soft people like you.' and she grabbed the bill and walked towards the counter and paid through her card.

As we walked out, I thanked her profusely. Her rowdy-fiancé was waiting outside. The unpleasant look on his face made him uglier. I said 'Good night' and walked towards my bike. My friend waited there to buy cigarettes. As we raced towards our house, my friend said 'Looks like your colleague had an argument with that guy.'

The next day, as I was about to leave for home around 9.30 in the night, I saw her rowdy-fiancé in the waiting lounge. I smiled at him. He gave a who-are-you look. My heartbeat came and they left.

As I walked towards my bike, I heard someone shouting loudly. I saw that rowdy-guy asking something in a high-pitch voice. She was looking down. I could make out that she was crying. I walked towards her. As I neared them, he looked at me and said 'What's with you?'. I saw her sobbing. I was furious at that moment. I folded my fingers and made the fist a super-tight one... Only one punch... and it all made the difference... I was hospitalized. He broke my nose and she broke the engagement. And now, in the mantap, as I look around with a small bandage on my nose, everyone seems to be laughing at me. Even my heartbeat... I could hear her giggling as I bent forward to place the flower garland on her neck Oh... I did live up to my reputation... About telling things in round-about-one-mile fashion...When I was hospitalized, she said that she had a crush on me, when she first saw me. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that. But after she got engaged, her fiancé had casually asked her whether she had any crush on anyone. She was honest... and her honesty brought her to me. Another happy ending?! Sarad said 'I am jealous'. Rahul said 'Good luck'. Stanley was quiet as usual. You know... ultimately all of the above were very happy for me. But I didn't know why they became furious when I revealed the truth about the dream of God's answer to me. I never dreamt of any such thing.

“Don’t tell me you got kicked with one bottle of beer” came the voice of Sharad… Aah guys high time I wake up and work for my dream. One mile walk per dream is bit tiring now.

3 comments:

Raj said...

Your style is impeccable.

Raj said...

But storyline sucks!!!

Raj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.