Tuesday, March 13, 2007

MOTHERS WANT THE BEST FOR US

There's something special about a mother at least my mother. Though she is not racial she calls me "Negro" or "Natu" because I am shorter than my brother by few inches. I was reminded of this the day when she visited me in my Engg college hostel. Looking me over in a loving way and speaking as only a mother can, she said, "You're going bald!" "Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Amma," I felt like saying.
"I hadn't your assistance by giving me annual how-bald-are-you-now reports."
2003: "Yes he is my younger son, I know he is dark and shorter than Iqbal (my brother) but he was born in the month of December you see.
'" 2004: "Son, you're so bald, and your hair is already white."
2005: "Son, you're so bald, Jet has asked for permission to land."
Being a writer herself she knows what to say and the soft spots where it hurts most for a person like me.
What would we do without our mothers? On Mother's Day and other days, we should show our gratitude to them not just because they've loved and supported us, but also for another major reason: If it weren't for our mothers, we wouldn't know all our faults. We'd be deceived into believing we're almost perfect. Yes, we'd be living a lie. Anytime I get too full of myself, I just have to speak to my mother and she'll bring me down to earth faster than a DSL service which we provide. She'll say something to make me realize that I'm a long way from achieving any goals, especially the ones she has set for me.
We need mothers partly because our spouses and friends have learned to lie to us. You can't blame them. They're concerned about their safety. I always praised Arnab for his long hair till he went home and his mom told her it’s not the scissor but land-mower which he needs!!! Now look at the human side of our cartoonist.
Mothers are so wise. You've gotta love them. I certainly love mine.

No comments: